The USGA P.J. Boatwright, Jr. Internship is tailored to prepare a qualified intern for a career in golf administration. The position is focused primarily on the CSGA’s extensive amateur tournament schedule, but this position will provide additional experience in communications, handicapping, course rating, and GHIN technical support.
Many alumni of the CSGA's internship program have gone on to successful careers in golf administration (both locally and nationally) and sports management.
The CSGA looks to hire one 3-month intern (approximately May 15 - August 15) and one 6-month intern (April - September), start and end date negotiable based on availability. Please indicate your desired position when submitting your application.
Primary Responsibilities: Assist with all phases of the CSGA’s services including: championships and competitions, the USGA Handicap System, Course Ratings, CSGA Scholarship Fund, Championship Player’s Program, Communications, and Member Services.
- Direct involvement in organizing and coordinating CSGA championships and qualifiers, USGA qualifying events, and CSGA One Day Tournament series, including on-site volunteer coordination, pace of play, Rules of Golf, player registration, starting, and scoring procedures.
- Assist with daily office administration of the CSGA’s tournament department, including application registration, starting times and pairings, media relations, and player of the year points.
- Preparation of competition materials for CSGA and USGA events, including printing and organizing of pairing sheets, scorecards, score sheets, volunteer assignments, pace-of-play guidelines, rules and hole location sheets.
GHIN Handicap and Course Rating System
- Assist in USGA Course Ratings and Course Measurements
- Assist in support calls and emails of the GHIN software and USGA Tournament Management Software
- Assist in the daily administration of the CSGA’s membership programs, including the GHIN handicap service and the Connecticut Golf Playbook.
- Contribute in the overall execution of the association’s communications plan, including writing and editing press releases, contributing to the CSGA’s monthly digital magazine, and website updates and maintenance
- Assist in the association’s social media plan, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Assist with photography duties at association events
Primary Additional Duties: Provide assistance in general office procedures, support Committees with materials for meetings, and provide assistance to other staff members as needed
- Ability to live in the greater Hartford, CT area during internship
- Willingness to work long hours including early mornings during championship season.
- Have own transportation and valid driver’s license.
- Golf background and/or strong interest in golf preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team to accomplish organizational goals
- Knowledge of basic MS Office products and social media platforms
- Must be an amateur golfer (PGM students are eligible but PGA professionals/apprentices are ineligible)
Compensation: A monthly stipend of $2,000 is provided plus out of office job-related expenses and staff clothing.
This position is open until filled. Please submit resume and cover letter to Mike Moraghan, Executive Director at email@example.com.